Expansion Technologies (EXT) Inc. is an early-stage biotech startup building a novel biomarker and target discovery platform leveraging an MIT-invented nanoscale molecular imaging technology, “Expansion Microscopy”. It focuses on developing and commercializing solutions to help scientists better understand and eventually treat critical diseases such as cancer and neurodegenerative diseases.
The research associate interacts with the R&D team and will optimize and develop a unique nanoscale molecular imaging technique that includes sample processing and imaging protocols for spatial transcriptomic profiling, and support the development of new applications and new products. The ideal candidate will have experience in tissue processing, performing/optimizing staining techniques, including immunohistochemical procedures, for microscopic evaluation and basic image/data analysis from single-cell gene expression, immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence, in situ hybridization (FISH), and/or spatial gene expression experiments. Besides the technical qualifications, the candidate will be highly goal-oriented, organized, inquisitive, independent, collaborative, and be able to thrive in an atmosphere of shifting demands and priorities.
This is a 12-month fixed-term contract position, with the possibility to convert to a full-time hire.
- Design, optimize and implement the ExM and ExSeq protocols developed by EXT R&D and technology teams and standardize the workflow
- Learn and follow proper sample handling to preserve RNA, DNA, and protein integrity.
- Work closely with scientists to better understand the ExSeq based spatial transcriptomics platform, and in data analysis, interpretation and present the results.
- Prepare tissue samples and optimize tissue preparation, fixation protocols for various tissue types including cultured cells, mouse, human, and primates etc.,
- Perform ExM and ExSeq experiments and apply, validate and optimize the standard protocols and develop new protocols.
- Support reagent ordering and stocking and ensure reagents, consumable, and instruments are in good order and operational
- Analyze data and prepare comprehensive reports/presentations for internal team members and external clients
- Carefully document experimental procedures and help maintain good laboratory practices
- Follow all safety precautions for chemicals and reagents while working in the lab and complying with OSHA and BSL2 safety standards
- Operate and collect 3D images using Confocal/Epi-fluorescence microscopes, perform basic image processing and work with computational team for quantitative image processing and analysis.
Qualification and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters’ Degree highly desirable. Degrees in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology, or related biological sciences preferred.
- 2+ year wet lab experience performing molecular biology
- Demonstrated knowledge of molecular biology, cell biology and imaging protocols (fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH), immunofluorescence, immunohistochemistry, fluorescent microscopy, single-molecule imaging, tissue sectioning, RNA-seq, antibody-labeling, etc.)
- Hands-on experience with in-situ molecular biology protocols (immunohistochemistry or FISH) and fluorescent microscopy imaging is a plus
- A high level of commitment and a track record of quality work, with attention to detail.
- Capable of communicating the work clearly among the team
- Experience with quantitative image analysis software tools like Fiji/ImageJ, Imaris etc.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team with excellent computer skills
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com